Focalin XR extended-release capsules is used for:
Treating attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Focalin XR extended-release capsules is a central nervous system stimulant. Exactly how it works is not known.
Do NOT use Focalin XR extended-release capsules if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Focalin XR extended-release capsules or to methylphenidate
- you have severe anxiety, agitation, or tension
- you have glaucoma
- you have motor tics (involuntary movements), Tourette syndrome, or a family history of Tourette syndrome
- you have serious heart problems (eg, heart defect, irregular heartbeat)
- you are taking a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) or have taken an MAOI within the past 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Focalin XR extended-release capsules:
Some medical conditions may interact with Focalin XR extended-release capsules. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of high blood pressure, heart problems (eg, heart failure, heart defects, fast or irregular heartbeat), blood vessel problems, or heart attack, or if a family member has a history of any of these problems or sudden death
- if you have a history of seizures or abnormal electroencephalograms (EEGs)
- if you have a history of an overactive thyroid or chronic fatigue
- if you have circulation problems in your hands or feet (eg, Raynaud phenomenon, thromboangiitis obliterans)
- if you have a history of mood or mental problems (eg, agitation, anxiety, bipolar disorder, depression, psychosis, tension), abnormal thoughts, hallucinations, suicidal thoughts or attempts, or alcohol or other substance abuse or dependence, or if a family member has a history of any of these problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Focalin XR extended-release capsules. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- MAOIs (eg, phenelzine) because severe high blood pressure may occur
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), certain anticonvulsants (eg, phenobarbital, phenytoin, primidone), phenylbutazone, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) (eg, fluoxetine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, imipramine) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Focalin XR extended-release capsules
- Medicines for high blood pressure (eg, guanethidine, metoprolol) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Focalin XR extended-release capsules
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Focalin XR extended-release capsules may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.